Friday, June 15, 2007

yesterday i was cleaning out my office due to my computer being upgraded. whilst doing this, i found some old pictures of my first car. a 1986 honda crx. i bought it for $2500 with my parents help. i had been saving my money from my evening & weekend job at zip's drive thru on government way. i rode my bike back and forth, sometimes biking home around 2 in the morning on a friday night and then back to work saturday at 8 in the morning. minimum wage was my pay at $3.15/h but i was able to save $2000 and my parents fronted the other $500.

good times in that car. many places gone to and many roads driven. miles upon miles spooled onto the odometer. i went anywhere and everywhere that i could. no more hitchin' rides to the mountain or finagling a lift to the beach.

big seth and i went to schweitzer a few times. seth didn't know how to ride, so i taught him the basics of boarding. one evening on our return trip home down that winding road, seth took off his boots and his socks were steaming. then, he proceded to remove those socks and put on fresh dry ones. it wasn't until that summer, when i was cleaning out my car that i found one of his nasty socks buried under my passenger seat. i drove up to his house and gave it to him. he knew that he had lost a sock, but didn't realize that he lost it in my vehicle.

i had my two 12s bumping the bass. my blaupunkt removable face kept the cds spinning. i had a full length racing mirror which kept me from having any blind spots. none, what-so-ever. it only cost me 10 bucks to fill my tank. gas was only .93¢ and a fill-up lasted me for 2 weeks. whenever i went to a board shop, i got a new sticker for my mystery machine. i had many made as well. the stickers i designed had special places. no decals on the body though, just windows. my jimi hendrix was on the windshield, middle top [that sticker is not shown *sniff*].

many summers, josh and i would drive up to the beach and meet friends or just drive around in the evenings. when rin and i started dating, [they say] my music could be heard a mile away, so her family knew i was on my way to see her. on a cold evening, after dinner and a proposal, rin and i went and visited with family to spread the news. it was my first car that took us to those places. alas, it was also my first car that had to have an engine rebuild and a clutch replaced. after rin and i were married, 5th gear started going out and soon the inevitable: i had to trade it. i do sometimes miss that car, but at least i have those memories...

15 Comments:

Blogger ErinG said...

We did have fun times in that little car. :)

12:17 PM  
Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

yesh we did. it is weird to see it again too.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

it was still the hardest car i ever drove. but lots of mems. turning the music down when we'd get to church, switchin' cd's for you after every 2.36 songs, ghoti hook (need i say more?)......

1:29 PM  
Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

2.36 songs *shaking head*. you had to change it cause you didn't like my music. but ghoti was awesome; as well as value pac. oh yeah...

1:34 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

yeah, val pac. but whether in your car or at home, (and dad will testify to this) you could never leave a cd on for its entirety. just a song or two, and even then, you'd skip it before the song was over, to you other fav song on the cd. "you are known to me now."

1:43 PM  
Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

that's the great thing about having an iPOD. =D

you guys were just against me and my music *sniff*. at least i didn't play the music you didn't like.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

yes you did. it's just that it wasn't so hard to be patient because i knew it would last no more than a song or two.

secretly i'm glad you had so much music, 'cause some of it i liked and i didn't have to spend my time or money discovering the bands any buying their cd's. bwah hahahaha!

1:50 PM  
Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

and now you're taking my mp3'd music collection. grrrrrr! see how you are. always hatin', not participatin'.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

i'm not hatin'..... i'm looooooving

1:53 PM  
Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

ahhhhh, i see. if this is love, i'd hate to see, um, hate.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

where's the hate?

1:55 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

is this a comment record high for you?

2:07 PM  
Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

um...possibly. it's getting up there.

2:12 PM  
Blogger ErinG said...

My goodness you two. I have to agree with Stephanie in that it was the hardest car I have ever driven as well.

2:54 PM  
Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

i feel like nobody loved this car but me. she wasn't difficult, you just had to know how to do it.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



high score: 152,275

no pooping