Tuesday, June 05, 2007

the weather report had promised us a huge disturbance with cold air invading the hot air that we have been having these last few days. it finally came last night. i was watching tv when rin asked me if i had heard thunder or if it was on what i was watching. i didin't hear anything, so i muted the set and looked outside. there was a purple flash, but no noise. i grabbed my camera and stepped into the backyard, but the houses were in the way, so, with rin following, headed to the front yard.

flashes abounded, but no electrical fingers. i kept getting awesome purple skies and clouds, but i really wanted a good bolt. i got into the car and headed down to a field and watched the skies for those bolts so i could freeze them on digital film, but alas, still only flashes. the majority of the storm was one city over, so the lightning was a distance away and we didn't even get any thunder.

while i waited for about an hour, the rain started drizzling, so i opened up my umbrella that i had gotten in darjeeling and waited with the chirping crickets for the sky to rip open with more of God's handiwork. alas, i only got a few shots out of 100.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

i like the top pic. you've got better open areas around your house. i like the cars zipping by too.

1:16 PM  
Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

thanks. that was a semi

1:24 PM  
Blogger larin said...

Way cool! I was thinking about trying to take some pics, too, but was unsure if the electricity in the air would affect my camera--I never would have worried about that before, at the Fun Run one of the moms got shocked through her umbrella. So now I'm curious. obviously you didn't have any problems, though... I was also trying to figure out how one would time the whole thing--I know when I take soccer pics if I click as the foot connects with the ball, then I miss the action, but if I click as the child approaches then I can catch the connect moment. But I can see the soccer action as it's about to happen--how does one know before the moment when the lightning is going to strike? So, good job on your few good shots out of the hundred! --LaRinda

2:48 PM  
Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

thanks larinda...
if i knew the moment before the lightning would strike, i would have gotten some better shots. it's all in shutter speed/iso/f stops and how long you keep the shutter open.

2:54 PM  
Blogger ErinG said...

I like the top pic the best too. You did a good job with what you had to work with. :)

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



high score: 152,275

no pooping