Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"it's a leper colony down there."
- seinfeld

my driver's license expired on friday. my plan was to head to the dmv and do a renew on monday, but that was colombus day, so i had to wait to do it today. as i drive into the parking lot, i could tell it was going to be a long wait due to there being no empty parking spaces. i circle around and see a couple getting into their car so i put the blinker on and begin my wait.

once parked, i grab the check book since the department only takes cash or check. what is that? open up the glass door and peer inside. people are lined against the walls like cattle waiting to be butchered. i take my number and sit myself down by the counter and window. the old lady next to me is complaining to the lady next to her about anything from politics to dust on the floor.

the clock on the wall seems to have stopped and so i check my watch. did my battery die? nope, time just stopped. we're stuck on number 44 and my number is 59. "too bad i didn't bring my ipod" i think to myself. maybe next time.

45. 46. 47. three people have been helped. 48 or 49. 50 or 51. c'mon lucky number 59! 52 or 53. 54. 55. 56. 57 or 58. 59?

"hi, i need to renew my license."

"ok, we'll call your name."

i go back to my place and wait. the guy that had his number in front of me has his named called but apparently his license has been suspended in some other states so they have take care of that. a phone call is placed. then another and one more.

my name is finally called. my vision gets tested and a check is scrawled out. fill out this form. take this over to the other side. wait in another line. the camera is in my sight. "please sit down." "look at the camera." "smile." "is your picture ok?" "please sign here."

an hour and fifteen minutes later, my face and electronic signature are on a plastic piece of, well, plastic. whew!

2 Comments:

Blogger ErinG said...

The DMV is always such an exciting place. ;) I once saw a guy get arrested when he tried to renew his license.

1:45 PM  
Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

yeah...i always fear that i'll be taken to that little room and get the handcuffs put on me as well. i've seen a big guy crying with handcuffs on and then led out.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



high score: 152,275

no pooping